Financial Aid

Financial Aid Handbook

The Butler University Office of Financial Aid is committed to providing students and parents assistance through the financial aid process. Financial aid counselors are available for appointments Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Financial aid counselors may also be reached by phone at (317) 940-8200 or by email at

Army ROTC Scholarship ~ Show Information

Army ROTC Scholarship Recipients

The following applies to recipients of the full tuition (three and four year) Army ROTC Scholarship:

  • Any tuition-specific scholarships and grants (Freshman Academic Scholarship, Butler Grant, Indiana state grants) that were previously awarded become honorary awards as the Army ROTC Scholarship pays for your tuition and fees.
  • Butler will credit the student account for your Army ROTC Scholarship once the funds are received.
  • Butler University recognizes the commitment of ROTC students and extends Butler Room Awards to eight students on a first come first served basis. The policy for this award is outlined below.

Butler Room Award Guidelines for Army ROTC Scholarship Recipients

Three and four year full Army ROTC Scholarship recipients are eligible to receive the Butler Room Award as long as he/she:

  • Enrolled fulltime in an undergraduate program,
  • Has been awarded the three or four year full Army ROTC Scholarship by June 1,
  • Maintains good standing with the University,
  • And resides in approved Butler University housing, as outlined below.
  • Enrollment and housing deposits must be paid by the deadlines established by the University. 
  • Award availability is based on first come first served, up to eight room awards per academic year. Students will be notified if a wait list is established and room award is not available at the time of request. 

This award is not available for off-campus housing or graduate studies and can only be awarded in conjunction with the Army ROTC Tuition Scholarship (not to exceed eight semesters)

The Butler Room Award is limited to the following approved housing options:

  • Ross Hall
  • Schwitzer Hall
  • Residential College (ResCo)
  • University Terrace
  • CTS Apartments
  • Butler Terrace
  • Apartment Village
  • Greek housing units

The Butler Room Award for Ross, Schwitzer and ResCo is equal to the actual room charge, not to exceed the double room rate of the housing unit.

As an upper class student should you choose to live in University Terrace, the Apartment Village, CTS Apartments, Butler Terrace or Greek housing unit, the Butler Room Award is limited to the actual room charge, not to exceed the cost of a ResCo double.

Greek residents may be requested to provide a copy of their housing agreement to the Office of Financial Aid if the house does not bill through the University.

You must notify the Office of Financial Aid if you change your housing status during any academic term.

Consistent with federal guidelines and University policy, the Butler Room Award will be adjusted should the student receive additional aid that in conjunction with the ROTC Scholarship will exceed the student's cost of attendance for the academic year. 

Drug Offense Statement ~ Show Information

Drug Offense Statement

Butler University is required to remind students who receive federal financial aid that the Higher Education Act includes a student eligibility provision related to drug possession and selling. A student who is convicted of a state or federal offense involving the possession or sale of an illegal drug that occurs during a period of enrollment in which federal student aid was received is not eligible for federal funds. Federal aid is comprised of grants, student loans, and college work study.

Timeframe for Ineligibility

The timeframe for ineligibility begins on the date of conviction and lasts until the end of a specified period as outlined below.

                     Possession of Illegal Drugs Sale of Illegal Drugs
1st Offense One year from date of conviction Two years from date of conviction
2nd Offense Two years from date of conviction Indefinite period of time
3+ Offenses Indefinite period of time

Regaining Eligibility

Students may regain eligibility for federal aid early by completing an acceptable drug rehabilitation program, passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an acceptable drug rehabilitation program or if the conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record.

Qualified Drug Rehabilitation Program Standards

A drug rehabilitation program is considered approved for these purposes if it includes at least two unannounced drug tests and meets at least one of the following criteria:

  • Qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program.

  • Qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.

  • Administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court.

  • Administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements ~ Show Information

Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements

  • In order to be eligible for federal and state financial aid, you must have a high school diploma or GED.
  • Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined in our Financial Aid Handbook in order to be eligible for any aid at Butler University. 
  • Butler gift aid is available to full time undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree.
  • Students with a bachelor's degree are eligible for the Federal Direct Loan only.
  • Students must be pursuing a degree or certificate and enrolled at least half time to receive the Federal Direct Loan.
  • To receive the maximum consideration of all Butler gift aid each year, returning students must:
    • Complete the FAFSA by March 1;
    • Submit all requested documents to complete their financial aid file by May 1; and
    • Be registered full-time (12 hours or more) by May 15.

Financial Aid Process ~ Show Information

Financial Aid Programs

  • Merit and talent awards consist of scholarships or awards based on academic achievement or performance ability.  These tuition specific awards are awarded to incoming freshmen and available for four years of full-time undergraduate enrollment and may carry specific requirements such as GPA.
  • Need-based aid, such as federal, state and Butler Grants, is based on the family's financial aid eligibility. The information reported on the FAFSA determines a family's financial strength or ability to contribute. The formula for determining financial aid eligibility is the total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room, board, books, transportation and miscellaneous expenses) minus the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Self-help is a type of financial aid that includes federal student loans and student employment. Student loans must be repaid and federal work study must be earned. Students must complete the FAFSA to apply for this type of aid.
  • Financing options are available to help all families, regardless of financial need, finance educational expenses. These options include a payment plan administered through the University, Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans, and Private Education Loans. 

Financial Aid Guidelines

  • The combination of all financial aid may not exceed the total cost of attendance for any given year. Tuition-specific awards cannot exceed the tuition charges and certain combinations of aid programs cannot exceed the student's financial aid eligibility.
  • Your eligibility for financial aid and the programs for which you qualify may vary each year as your family's financial situation fluctuates, college costs increase, funding levels change, and your academic standing changes. Therefore, families are encouraged to file the FAFSA each year. 
  • Verification is a federal requirement which requires Butler University to obtain documentation that supports the information provided on the FAFSA. Financial aid will be offered after the Office of Financial Aid receives and processes all requested documents.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requires financial aid recipients maintain a 2.0 GPA. In addition to the GPA, progress is measured by credits earned in relation to those attempted and the length of the academic program.  The complete SAP policy is included in this Financial Aid Handbook.

Financial Aid Notification

  • Once the financial aid offer has been determined, you will be notified through your Butler email account. Your Financial Aid Notification will be available to view on your portal.
  • When you review your financial aid, you must accept/decline each award offered, sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete entrance counseling if you are accepting a student loan for the first time, and report any outside scholarships you may be receiving for the academic year.
  • You will be notified if revisions to your aid are made due to new information such as outside scholarships. In addition to outside scholarships, you should report changes in enrollment status or major as they may also affect your aid eligibility. 

Financial Aid Disbursement

  • Federal, state, and institutional funds are automatically credited to your student account; however, funds cannot be authorized for disbursement until you have accepted the awards offered and completed all required documents.
  • Financial aid will appear as "Anticipated Aid" on your billing statement until the funds actually disburse to your student account on the fifth day of classes each semester. 
  • The Federal Perkins and Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans will not disburse to the student account until the MPN and entrance counseling are complete. Indiana state grants (Freedom of Choice Grant and Twenty-First Century Scholars) will be credited when the Office of Financial Aid received confirmation of your eligibility from the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE). 
  • Receiving a Financial Aid Notification does not mean your bill is paid in full. It is your responsibility to compare your financial aid with your bill from the Office of Student Accounts.
  • The last day you may submit a complete application for an education loan (federal and private) is one week prior to the end of the semester. Applications received after this date cannot be processed.
  • Students who officially or unofficially withdraw from the University before completing at least 60 percent of the semester are subject to the return of a prorated portion of the federal funds disbursed to their student account.  This loss of funds may cause a balance on the student's account.


Financial Aid Tips ~ Show Information

Financial Aid Tips

As a financial aid recipient, the student should:

  • Read all materials sent to him/her.
  • Apply for financial aid in a timely manner.
  • Complete all financial aid forms accurately and in their entirety.
  • Follow directions when completing financial aid forms.

The above tips are simple yet important for all students that receive financial aid. By following these steps, you may be able to eliminate some of the complexity of the financial aid process. These basic tips will also help you receive the quickest and best service provided by the financial aid staff. The Office of Financial Aid realizes that the financial aid process can be complex. There are many outside entities imposing regulations to ensure that the students are treated in a fair and equitable manner. Butler University and the Office of Financial Aid have an obligation to comply with on-going changes in the federal regulations. For this reason, the method by which a student applies and/or receives financial aid may change several times during his/her college career. We encourage you to check back to this site for the most up to date information on the policies that affect your financial aid eligibility.

Any application materials or documents for scholarships or financial aid submitted by the student and his or her family become the property of the university and a permanent record of the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for compliance with university, federal and state regulations and guidelines.

Indiana Grant Programs ~ Show Information

Indiana State Grant Programs

The Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE) eligibility requirements for all full-time state grants and scholarships:

  • You must show financial need according to program rules.
  • Your FAFSA must be received by the federal processor by March 10, and be error-free by May 15, each and every year.
  • You and your parent(s), if you are a dependent student, must be legal residents of Indiana and remain so during the academic year.
  • You must be an undergraduate working on an associate or first bachelor degree, maintain satisfactory academic progress, not be in default or overpayment, and meet the specific requirements of your chosen major.
  • For the O'Bannon grant program, all students must utilize state eligibility within 8 years after the first use. Eligible students are limited to 8 semesters of receiving the grant.
  • You must be full-time (12 or more credit hours per semester at census) and remain full-time through the first four weeks of classes or Butler's refund period, whichever is shorter, to qualify for the full amount of these grants. Changes in enrollment status during the first four weeks of classes may result in full cancellation of the state grants. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for term specific dates and before making changes to your enrollment status.

Credit Completion Requirements

Beginning with the 2013-2014 academic year, students will be required to meet certain completion requirements to renew state financial aid awards.  Students receiving the Freedom of Choice Award or the 21st Century Scholars Award must complete at least 30 credit hours each year to remain eligible for the maximum state financial aid award.  Freedom of Choice recipients who complete at least 24 credit hours each year will remain eligible for state financial aid, but will receive an amount that is less than a student who completes 30 credit hours.

For additional information about Indiana Grant Programs, including Credit Completion Requirements, visit the Indiana Commission for Higher Education - Student Financial Aid. Students should create an eStudent account to monitor their application status.

Lender Selection ~ Show Information

Primary Lender Selection Process

The Butler University Office of Financial Aid works diligently to offer the best financial aid service and options possible.  In its effort to provide outstanding loans, primary lenders are chosen to streamline the process for the students and staff.  A periodic review is conducted to ensure the primary lenders continue to be the best possible resource for the loans.

Listed below are several reasons these lenders were chosen to be included on the list:

Service Standards

  • A strong commitment to customer service utilizing the following platforms - toll-free phone number, website, and email support.
  • A dedicated service representative is assigned to Butler University for additional support.
  • Borrowers are provided with an online account management tool to track their loans while at Butler and also after graduating from the University.

Borrower Benefits

  • No application and origination fees.
  • Competitive interest rates offered and borrowers can choose from fixed and variable rate options.
  • Flexible repayment plans available, including immediate repayment, interest only repayment, and deferred repayment.
  • Interest rate reduction offered for auto-draft payments.

Processing Information and Technology

  • Online application process that is quick and easy and allows for fast credit decision.
  • Primary lenders are supported by Butler's system electronically, allowing for a faster turnaround time to the student/parent.  Loan disbursements are sent via EFT (electronic funds transfer), allowing the funds being applied to the student's account sooner.  Other lenders may send disbursements via paper check causing a delay as the borrower must sign these checks before the funds can be applied to the student's account.


Lilly Endowment Community Scholars ~ Show Information

Lilly Endowment Community Scholars

Upon notification that you have been selected as a Lilly Endowment Community Scholar we ask that you notify the Office of Financial Aid or Admission.

Any tuition-specific scholarships and grants (Freshman Academic Scholarship, Butler Grant, Indiana state grants) that were previously awarded become honorary awards as the Lilly Scholarship pays for your tuition and fees.

Butler University does recognize your accomplishments and extends to you a Butler Room Award. The policy for this award is outlined below.

We will credit the funds for your Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship at the time we receive them from the Lilly Foundation. On this note, it is important that you provide a copy of your tuition and fees statement to the foundation each semester, as requested, so payment can be submitted. You may incur interest charges if these funds arrive after the start of the semester. It is our understanding the book award funds will be sent directly to you. You are responsible for using those funds appropriately.

Butler Lilly Scholar Room Award Policy

You are eligible to receive the Butler Room Award for the four years you receive the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship or complete your degree, whichever is first, and reside in approved Butler University housing, as outlined below. This award is not available for off-campus housing.

The Butler Room Award is limited to the following approved housing options:

  • Butler University residence halls (Ross Hall, Residential College (RESCO) and Schwitzer Hall)
  • University Terrace
  • Apartment Village
  • Greek housing units

The Butler Room Award is equivalent to the cost of a double room in Ross, Schwitzer, or RESCO or the actual room charge, whichever is less.

The combination of the Lilly scholarship, Federal Pell Grant, and other outside scholarships may only be applied to tuition, fees and a university meal plan. Any funds exceeding these charges will be used to offset the Butler Room Award.

Any opportunities on campus for additional stipends (i.e. Resident Assistant) for similar charges already covered by the Butler Room Award will reduce or replace the amount of the Butler Room Award.

As an upper class student should you choose to live in University Terrace, the Apartment Village or a Greek housing unit, your Butler Room Award is limited to the equivalent of a double room in RESCO, or the actual room charge, whichever is less.

The Office of Financial Aid will be in contact with offices of Residence Life and Greek Life on June 1st each year to confirm the housing assignments of returning students for the upcoming academic year. If we are unable to confirm your housing assignment on this date you will be eligible for no more than $2000 in the Butler Room Award. Housing assignments confirmed after July 1st will NOT be eligible for the Butler Room Award.

You must notify the Office of Financial Aid if you change your housing status during any academic term.

Please contact us with any questions.

Financial Aid

Office: (317) 940-8200

Toll Free: (877) 940-8200


Office: (317) 940-8100

Toll Free: (888) 940-8100


Outside Scholarships/Awards ~ Show Information

Outside Scholarships/Awards

According to federal regulations, scholarships received from any organization are considered to be a resource available to meet your financial aid eligibility.

As a financial aid recipient, a student must report all outside scholarships from sources other than federal, state and university programs.

  • Adjustments in aid will occur if a student is receiving need-based assistance and the combination of all assistance (including outside scholarships) exceeds the financial aid eligibility. In addition, a reduction of Butler gift assistance may occur if the total of all tuition specific awards exceeds the cost of tuition or if the value of all awards (including the outside scholarships) exceeds the total cost of attendance.
  • Students are responsible for following through with the scholarship donor to make sure the funds are sent directly to the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner (July 1 for fall enrollment and December 1 for spring enrollment).
  • Checks must be properly endorsed to insure the appropriate credit to the student's account.
  • Scholarships in the amount of $500 or more will be split evenly between the fall and spring semesters.
  • Students may report their outside scholarships online at (Self Service - Student Center - Finances - Financial Aid - Report Other Financial Aid) or by providing a copy of the award letter directly to the Office of Financial Aid.

The Office of Student Accounts does NOT consider outside scholarship funds as a credit to the account until the funds have been received and processed by the Office of Financial Aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress ~ Show Information

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that all student financial aid recipients make satisfactory academic progress toward achieving a certificate or degree. The standards apply to all terms regardless of whether or not the student received financial aid. In addition, students must also meet the retention standards of the university as outlined in the Butler University Handbook. Satisfactory Academic Progress is measured by three components:

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

  • Quantitative (Pace) - Total of all credit hours attempted versus credit hours earned measured cumulatively throughout the student's enrollment at Butler University (includes accepted transfer credit hours).
  • Qualitative - Cumulative Grade Point Average.
  • Maximum timeframe - The maximum time to complete a program.

Progress will be measured at the end of each term. Students on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Warning have one semester to earn credit hours to meet the standards of satisfactory progress.

Progress Standards


Pace is measured by total Earned Hours divided by all Attempted Hours. A student may not fall below 67%.

Example: A student who attempts 15 credit hours for a semester and earns 12 credit hours has a percentage of 12/15 (80%). However the next term the student enrolls in 15 credit hours and only earns 6 credit hours. The overall attempted hours have now increased (accumulated) to 30 and the earned hours are 18. The calculation is 18/30 (60%). The student is no longer making progress.

Courses completed with grades of A, B, C, and D count toward earned credit hours. Courses completed with grades of F, W, I, X, NC or any other grade that does not result in credit hours completed will not count in earned hours. A few academic programs require coursework ("Z courses") that is assigned a grade but for which the credit hours are not counted toward the minimum required for a degree. Credit hours for these courses are measured as successfully completed if a letter grade of A, B, C, or D is assigned.

Quantitative progress is reviewed every term to determine if the student has completed sufficient total credit hours to maintain a pace of 67% or greater.


Students must have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher at the end of their first two years (or four terms) at Butler University and continue to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for all subsequent terms.

Maximum Timeframe

Students in an academic program with a program length of 120 hours who have attempted 180 credit hours toward a degree will be ineligible for student financial aid. All other programs with different lengths must not exceed 150% of the program length. Students may receive financial aid for a maximum of 30 credit hours of Remedial/Developmental coursework.

Graduate students in a program length of 30 credit hours have 5 years and a maximum of 45 attempted credit hours to complete their degree. Graduate programs of longer than 30 credit hours have a maximum timeframe; the number of attempted credit hours cannot exceed 150% of the program length.

Note: A student will be considered to have reached the credit hour maximum when the SAP review makes it clear that the student cannot mathematically finish the program within the maximum credit limit. At that time the student will become ineligible.

SAP Terminology

Withdrawals (W): Courses that are recorded on the student's permanent academic transcript will be included as credit hours attempted. These will have an adverse effect on the student's ability to meet the requirements of the credit hour progression schedule for financial aid.

Incomplete grades (I): Courses that are assigned an incomplete grade are included in the cumulative credit hours attempted. These cannot be used as credit hours earned in the progress standard until a successful grade is assigned.

Pass/Fail: No more than seven credit hours of regular, non-developmental courses taken will be counted as satisfactorily completed credit hours under this policy.

Repeated Courses: Retaking courses in which the student either received a passing or failing grade, adversely affects the student's ability to meet the progress requirements. All attempted credit hours are counted in the quantitative standard.

Students are allowed only one time to repeat a course in which they achieved a passing grade. After one allowable time, the student will not earn federal financial assistance for future repeats. For example: a student earns a "D" in a course and wants to repeat the class (the student has already repeated a passing grade course one other time). If the repeat course makes the enrollment full-time (9 credits + 3 credit hour repeat) then the federal aid will be adjusted to ¾ time enrollment for 9 credit hours. If the course is added to full-time enrollment of 12 or more credit hours, the student can receive federal aid based on full-time status.

Transfer Credits: Only transfer credit hours officially accepted will be counted in the maximum number of attempted (and completed) credit hours for financial aid eligibility. If the student is required to take additional hours that would exceed the maximum cumulative allowable hours, the student must submit a written appeal to the Office of Financial Aid. If the appeal is approved, the student may continue to receive financial aid.

Second Degree Students: Students who are enrolled in a degree program, which is equal to or lower than a degree already earned, will have the previous degree's accepted credit hours applied toward the student's current certificate or degree program. The accepted credit hours will be counted in the maximum number of allowable credit hours for financial aid eligibility.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Warning (Financial Aid Warning)

Students will be placed on financial aid warning if they fail to meet either the qualitative or quantitative standard at the time of review. Students placed on warning are then reviewed at the end of each academic term.

Students will be removed from financial aid warning in the following term if they meet or exceed SAP standards.

Disqualification from Financial Aid (Loss of Financial Aid Eligibility)

Students on financial aid warning who fail to meet the stated standards of progress in their next semester of enrollment will be ineligible for financial aid. This period of ineligibility is called Financial Aid Hold.

Students that are not keeping pace and fall below 67% or are not meeting the qualitative cumulative GPA standard may find that it will take more than one semester to meet the minimum requirements for progress. In either of these cases an Educational Plan in collaboration with the Learning Resource Center (LRC) will need to be implemented to measure progress for multiple semesters (see next section for appeal process).

Students who pre-register for a subsequent semester before grades are evaluated and who use financial aid to defer tuition and fees may owe a financial aid repayment if they do not maintain satisfactory academic progress and are placed on Financial Aid Hold after grades are posted and reviewed.

Disqualification from financial aid does not prevent students from enrolling without financial aid if they are otherwise eligible to continue their enrollment. Students should consult with a Financial Aid Counselor to determine how to regain eligibility for financial aid.

Tuition Remission is an employee benefit and is not affected by a student's SAP standing.

Appeals to Regain Eligibility

Students who fail to meet these standards and have lost eligibility for financial aid may appeal.

The appeal must be in writing on the SAP Appeal Form provided by the Office of Financial Aid. This may require an Educational Plan to be completed with the LRC if the SAP standards cannot be met by the end of the subsequent semester. Appeals should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid within two weeks of the date of notification. Appeals are then reviewed by the Financial Aid Committee. Reasons that may be acceptable for appeal are: (1) serious illness or accident on the part of the student; (2) death, accident or serious illness in the immediate family; (3) change in academic program; and, (4) other extenuating circumstances. The written appeal and the student's circumstances will be taken into consideration when determining the student's ability to meet the appropriate standards for the certificate or degree program in which the student is enrolled. The student is limited to two appeals during their enrollment at Butler University. Successful appeals will be approved with a probationary status not to exceed one semester. Students on an Educational Plan may have increased timeframes based on their evaluation. Denied appeals must meet SAP standards before regaining eligibility.

Regaining Eligibility

Students who failed to meet these Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards and who choose to enroll without benefit of student financial aid may request a review of their academic record after any term in which they are enrolled without the receipt of financial aid. If the standards are met at the time of review, eligibility may be regained for subsequent terms of enrollment in the academic year.

Special Circumstances ~ Show Information

Special Circumstances

If a significant loss of income is projected resulting in circumstances that restrict your parents' ability to contribute to your education, please write a letter explaining the circumstances and the Office of Financial Aid will review your situation. Special circumstances are defined as situations that the family has minimal control over: death, disability, loss of income due to lay-off and unemployment. Voluntary circumstances are not eligible for consideration. Such voluntary items would include: consumer debt, voluntary leave of employment, loss of income due to change in job or school attendance.

A financial aid counselor will review your letter and determine if a formal review is warranted. If a formal review is necessary, you will receive a Request for Review Form from the Office of Financial Aid. Documentation may be needed to support your request. Additional aid for special circumstances will consist of increased loan eligibility. Only in rare instances will it increase gift assistance to an existing financial aid package. You should continue to judge your ability to afford the cost of your education based on your original aid eligibility. Application for loans and payment plans must not be delayed while waiting for a decision on a special circumstance.

Student Rights and Responsibilities ~ Show Information

Student Rights and Responsibilities

As a Butler University student, you are entitled to certain rights pertaining to your financial aid. However, you also must take on the responsibility as a student financial aid applicant.

You have the right to ask:

  • What financial assistance is available, including federal, state and institutional financial aid programs?
  • What the deadlines are for submitting financial aid applications?
  • What the cost of attendance is and what the policy is on refunds if you withdraw?
  • What criteria are used to select financial aid recipients and how it determines your financial aid eligibility? This process includes how costs for tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies, and personal and miscellaneous expenses are considered in your budget.
  • What resources (such as parental contribution, other financial aid and your assets, etc.) are considered in calculating your aid eligibility?
  • How much of your financial aid eligibility has been sent?
  • For an explanation of the various programs in your financial aid package.
  • What financial aid must be repaid and what is grant aid? If the aid is a loan, you have the right to know what the interest rate is, the amount that must be repaid, payback procedures and the length of time you have to repay the loan and when repayment begins.
  • What the policy is on satisfactory academic progress?

It is your responsibility to:

  • Read all documents you are sent regarding your application for assistance and contact the Office of Financial Aid in writing if corrections are needed.
  • Review and consider all information about a school's program before you enroll.
  • Pay special attention to your application for student financial aid, complete it accurately and submit it on time to the right place. (Intentional misreporting of information on application forms for federal financial aid is a violation of the law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code.)
  • Return all requested documentation in a reasonable length of time.
  • Know and comply with the deadlines for application or reapplication for financial aid.
  • Accept or decline the financial aid offered within three weeks of notification.
  • Read and understand all forms you are asked to sign and keep copies of them.
  • Accept responsibility for all agreements you sign.
  • Notify your lender of changes in your name, address or school status.
  • Perform in a satisfactory manner the work that is agreed upon in accepting a Federal Work-Study Award.
  • Know and comply with your school's refund procedures.

Study Abroad ~ Show Information

Study Abroad


Academic Year

Butler University supports students who wish to include the study abroad experience in their education. Students must select a study abroad program from the approved list of programs available from the Center for Global Education (CGE) in order to retain financial aid eligibility.

Students studying through an exchange program either with International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) or one of the Butler University Exchange Programs will be able to apply ALL financial aid to program costs. Actual award amounts will be available after the student has received a Financial Aid Notification (FAN) for the year in question and as soon as the Office of Financial Aid has been notified of the program in which the student plans to study.

Students studying abroad in approved IFSA and consortium programs with other universities are eligible for one-half (50%) of their Butler University awards and ALL federal and state aid. Butler University awards include, but are not limited to: Academic Scholarships, Audition Awards, Butler University Grants and endowed and departmental scholarships.

In order to receive Butler University funds for study abroad programs, the student must complete one full academic year at Butler University prior to the beginning of the study abroad term.

Summer Sessions

Since students are billed directly by the program and must submit payment directly to the program sponsor for non-Butler programs during the summer, students are not eligible for federal or institutional financial aid. Students should discuss their options with the Office of Financial Aid before registering for the program.

Procedures for Study Abroad Students using Financial Aid

  1. Students who plan to study abroad are required to complete Study Abroad pre-departure forms, available from CGE.
  2. Students need to schedule an appointment with their financial aid counselor to review estimated financial aid and costs for the selected program. Students should bring their completed Study Abroad pre-departure forms to that appointment.
  3. Students should plan well in advance of given deadlines to complete the requirements to study abroad.
  4. Students should meet with the Office of Student Accounts for any billing issues/concerns.

Tuition Exchange ~ Show Information

Tuition Exchange

The Tuition Exchange is a reciprocal scholarship program for children and other family members of faculty and staff employed at over 600 participating institutions. General information regarding the exchange and a list of participating institutions can be found at The Tuition Exchange Website.

Student's whose parent(s) work for an institution that is a member of the Tuition Exchange may apply for a Tuition Exchange Award.

Consideration for Tuition Exchange

To receive a Tuition Exchange award you must be:

  • Accepted for admission at Butler University and pursuing the first undergraduate degree. 
  • Maximum consideration is given to students who complete their admission application in the Early Action program (by November 1).
  • Limited consideration may be available for students admitted through Regular Decision.
  • Selected by Butler University to receive a Tuition Exchange award. We are limited in the number of Tuition Exchange awards we grant each year.
  • Approved as an export from your parent's employing institution.
  • Tuition Exchange applications must be received by the Office of Financial Aid by January 15 of the application year to be considered for a Tuition Exchange Award.

Selection for Tuition Exchange

Tuition Exchange applications will be reviewed by the Tuition Exchange Committee and selection will be made based on the student's academic strength and the availability of Tuition Exchange award positions at Butler University for that academic year. With Pharmacy and Physicians Assistants being our most competitive programs at Butler University there is limited space and stronger criteria for admission. Therefore, Tuition Exchange is currently not available for students applying for the Pre-Pharmacy or Pre-Physician Assistants programs. We will keep applications received should the availability status change.

Selected students will be notified of their eligibility to participate in the Tuition Exchange Program for the upcoming academic year on or about February 15. An acceptance form will be sent to the student. This form must be signed and returned to the Office of Financial Aid before the award will be credited to the student's account. A Tuition Exchange fee of $50.00 will be charged to the student's account each year the student participates in the Tuition Exchange Program.

Limits of the Tuition Exchange Award

Eligibility extends to the first 8 semesters (4 years) of all eligible undergraduate academic programs with the exception of the Engineering Dual Degree Program which is limited to the first 4 semesters (2 years) of the undergraduate program. Students who will participate in programs that exceed 4 years may seek need-based assistance for those additional years of attendance.

Annual Tuition Exchange renewal requires continued export eligibility by your parent's employing institution by January 15 of each year.

Students must maintain good standing with the University and maintain satisfactory academic progress toward their degrees as specified for their major in the Butler University Bulletin.

The Tuition Exchange Award is available for full time (12 or more credit hours per semester) undergraduate enrollment for the academic year only at Butler University and select Study Abroad programs. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and the Center for Global Education for further information regarding Study Abroad programs available with Tuition Exchange. Tuition Exchange is not available for summer enrollment, or less than full time enrollment.

Tuition Exchange Awards must be coordinated with all other assistance the student receives. Tuition Exchange supersedes other awards given by Butler University. Merit awards from Butler University will be retained in name only if the student receives Tuition Exchange.

Awards you receive from programs outside the university will affect the amount of your award. These programs include Indiana state grants and tuition-specific scholarships from any other source. One-half of Federal Pell Grant awards may be applied to tuition costs as well.

Veteran's Benefits ~ Show Information

Yellow Ribbon and Chapter 33

Effective August 1, 2014, veteran's assistance for higher education available under the Post 9/11 Veteran's Educational Assistance Act (Chapter 33) has changed. This assistance now includes tuition/fee payments up to $20,235.02 for enrollment at a private institution as well as housing and book stipends. Children and spouses of service members may also be eligible under certain circumstances to receive benefits. The service member must apply with the VA to transfer his/her eligibility to a dependent.

The VA determines the percentage of the service member's eligibility. This percentage is then used to calculate the amount of tuition and fees paid by the VA.

Yellow Ribbon is a voluntary program that Butler has entered into with the VA. Only students eligible for 100% of the Chapter 33 benefit (based on service record/time) and are pursuing a first bachelor's degree are eligible. The Yellow Ribbon is in addition to the tuition and fees they receive under the CH 33 benefits. An institution's participation in the program is determined annually. An institution can discontinue its participation at any time by not submitting a new agreement for the upcoming year.

Currently, Butler has agreed to provide up to $7500/year in institutional gift aid (Yellow Ribbon) and the VA will then match that additional amount. This is of course limited to tuition and fees. Yellow Ribbon may affect other gift assistance awarded by the university.

Yellow Ribbon awards are limited and in accordance with the law. Yellow Ribbon eligibility must be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. We will utilize the date a student has both a complete Yellow Ribbon Application as well as the appropriate documentation from the VA for certification to determine first-come, first-served.

Butler Yellow Ribbon Application

A Butler University Yellow Ribbon Application is provided to an admitted student by the Office of Financial Aid upon notification of a qualified recipient.

We recommend students file the FAFSA to ensure they receive maximum aid eligibility.

VA Resources

VA Post 911 Information

VA Yellow Ribbon Information


The U. S. Department of Education requires universities to provide students access to specific information about the University.  Butler University annually provides the Student Consumer Information to all enrolled students via an announcement in the Connection.

Butler University's Student Consumer Information is available online here or by requesting a hard copy from the Office of Financial Aid.