Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Thanks to our friends at UC Santa Barbara, University of
California for providing the 7 easy steps to filing your FAFSA
Obtaining your Federal Student Aid PIN
Your Federal Student Aid PIN can be used each year to
electronically apply for aid with the FAFSA and to access your
records online. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and
provides access to your personal records, so never give your
PIN to anyone.
- You may Apply For A PIN at any time, prior to
completing the FAFSA, at www.pin.ed.gov.
- You may continue to use the PIN each year; there is no need to
- If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, you may Request A
Duplicate PIN at www.pin.ed.gov.
- If you are a dependent student, one parent is
required to sign the FAFSA using a Federal Student Aid PIN.
Parents may also Apply For A PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. Parents can use
the same PIN to sign the application of multiple children from one
year to the next.
- The Office of Financial Aid does not have access to your
Completing the FAFSA
Submit the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov from January 1
to March 1 for each academic year.
- Gather identification documents (social security cards,
driver's licenses) for both the student and parents.
- List Butler University (school code 001788) as a school
selection on the FAFSA.
- For students attending Fall 2014, complete the 2014-2015
FAFSA using your 2013 W2s and federal tax returns for the student
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if eligible (two weeks have
passed since your electronic IRS filing).
- If federal taxes cannot be complete prior to March 1,
please complete with your best estimates.
- Complete the FAFSA accurately as directed in the instructions;
leave no spaces/fields blank.
- Print off the confirmation page and retain for your
Additional FAFSA Tips
- Submit the FAFSA online between January 1 and March 1 each year
to receive priority consideration of all aid programs.
- For Indiana residents, the FAFSA must be received by the
Federal Processing Center on or before March 10 and
be error-free by May 15 each year in order to be
considered for Indiana state grant programs.
- Use the student's name as it appears on the social security
card. Double check the social security number.
- Male students must register with the Selective Service to be
eligible for aid. This can be done through the FAFSA by
checking Register me.
- Report the value of assets as of the day you complete the
- Send a separate letter or email to the Office of Financial Aid
if you have special circumstances not reflected on the
- The FAFSA must be completed each year.