Internship & Career Services

Federal Work Study Community Service Organizations

Blue IIEach year, Butler University partners with about 10 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that hire Butler students eligible for Federal Work Study to work part-time during the academic year. Butler is responsible for paying 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted Federal Work Study monetary award designated by Financial Aid.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a Federal Work Study Community Service (FWS CS) Organization? ~ Show answer

These organizations partner with Butler University by hiring only FWS eligible students to work for the academic year. Each year, there are about 10 non-profit organizations (located both on and off campus) that will hire Butler students, on the terms that Butler is responsible for paying 100% of the students' wages, up to the students' allotted FWS monetary award.

How does an organization become a FWS CS Organization? ~ Show answer

The first step is to make contact with the Student Employment Coordinator, Courtney Rousseau ( or (317) 940-8425). After doing a basic review to see if the organization would be a good fit for Butler students and vice versa, the organization will be added to a waiting list. As more funds become available during an academic year, or at the start of a new academic year, organizations will be contacted on that list in the order that they requested to hire Butler students. It is not a guarantee that funds will become available at any time, but there have been instances in the past in which we have been able to add new organizations.

How do students apply to jobs at FWS CS Organizations? ~ Show answer

Every job gets posted on B.L.U.E., our job search website. A basic job description form must be completed in order to post the open job, and Students apply directly through that system (all applications are sent via email to the supervisor). Once the supervisor has students in mind that they would like to interview or hire, they must first double check that the student is eligible for FWS funds. They can do this by contacting the Student Employment Coordinator.

How many students can be hired? ~ Show answer

The number of students that can be hired and the amount they can be paid is determined each year by the federal funding Butler University is allotted to use. It can vary from year to year, but typically supervisors divide roughly 20 hours per week among 1-5 students.

What is the process to officially hire a student? ~ Show answer

All applications placed on B.L.U.E. will be sent directly to the supervisor via email. Once the supervisor has some students in mind they would like to hire or interview, they must first officially check that the student is eligible for FWS funds, by either having the student contact Financial Aid ((317) 940-8200) or Courtney Rousseau (

What does it mean for a student to be eligible for FWS? ~ Show answer

Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study as a part of their financial aid package must seek on campus employment or Community Service employment. The dollars that are awarded to you must be acquired by working in an approved job. The primary benefit of the Federal Work Study program for the student is that the income from this type of employment is exempt from the income reported on the subsequent year's Financial Aid Form. If a student works beyond the dollars offered through Federal Work Study, the additional income will have to be reported on the subsequent Financial Aid Form. Only students who meet federal guidelines and have been awarded aid or are eligible for aid may apply to FWS CS organizations. If a student or supervisor needs to check the FWS status for any student, they may contact Financial Aid ((317) 940-8200) or Courtney Rousseau (

How does a student get paid? ~ Show answer

The supervisor must submit timesheets every week to the Student Employment Coordinator, which can be submitted either by scanning and emailing them to  (this is the preferred method) or via fax at (317) 940-6443. Simultaneously, the student will enter an online time and labor system to record the hours they have worked. The student will be paid bi-weekly according to Butler's payroll system.

For more questions or if you are interested in becoming an off-campus Federal Work Study Community Service organization, please contact Courtney Rousseau, Student Employment Coordinator at (317) 940-8425 or Federal funding may change from year to year, and interested organizations will often be put on a wait list until more funding becomes available.